Hayling Island

Hayling Island is a popular but not crowded seaside resort on the central south coast. The Island offers excellent beaches surrounded by natural gorse covered beachlands and has been awarded the ‘Double Blue Flag’.

A little history

In 1043 Emma, wife of Ethelred the Unready and later of Canute, owned Hayling Island. She was the mother of Edward the Confessor.
The approach to Hayling is by a single road bridge crossing Langstone Harbour. the ‘Wadeway’ was until 1824 the only approach, on foot across the mudflats to the island. In 1867 a railway link was constructed which continued until axed in 1963. The Hayling Billy railway line is now a delightful bridle, cycle and walkway through the meadows along the western shore of the Island.

Local sights

The New Forest is approximately a fifty minute drive, as is Brighton, with London about one and a half hours. In the Victorian resort of Southsea (twenty minutes drive) there is much of interest including Lord Nelson's ship H.M.S. Victory, the Mary Rose, H.M.S. Warrior, the Royal Navy’s Museum and that of the Marines, Henry VIII’s Southsea Castle, the D Day Museum and the Blue Reef Aquarium. For retail therapy there is Gunwharf keys, Whiteley Village and Port Solent.

Closer to home there’s an excellent golf course and pitch and putt course within a short walking distance of ‘Ravensdale’. There is a slightly longer walk to the Hayling passenger and cycle ferry which crosses the water to Eastney, Portsmouth. Hayling is well known for its excellent sailing facilities.

Use the arrows to scroll the text.
Click small pictures for larger versions.